Monday 17 November 2014

A Guelder Rose but no Gorillas.


We had to revise our plan for today. It was a bit misty.

It just seemed too dangerous to take Fizz out on the road, we could get knocked over and traumatise a motorist.
There was a little dog sitting underneath my window who wanted me to come out and play..

Plan B then. The fog was coming down heavy. We would go and look for Gorillas in the mist (that's where they live. Right?)


I put Fizz in charge of watching the trees, we don't want anything jumping down on us and I was in charge of the little things.


The first little thing that I found was rose hips, from a proper rose a Dog Rose.


But not all of those berries are tasty rose hips, some of them are Black Bryony.


We are going to see a lot of berries today.


Hawthorn berries are everywhere.



This next little mushroom is one of the Mycena. That is a genus of fungi with several hundred species. Many of which can only be separated with a microscope. I can't get it to species from these pictures but it is a pretty one. These are often collectively referred to as Bonnets.





Keep watching the trees please!


I am bent over examining the ground and at any moment something big might jump down and land on my back with a thump. What's my lookout doing?


Messing about! Although, I am not sure how much she can see out of her haircut anyway.


There are many more berries to come. These are Black Bryony again. The profusion of these poisonous berries delights me.



All around I am seeing signs of winter. These Ivy berries will be a feature of January when they have ripened.





Lambs Tails are forming on the Hazel ready for January too.


Behind these catkins is the plant that we have come to see.

I first photographed these berries in January, there were far fewer berries then and there were no leaves on the tree. I didn't know what it was and so I told myself that I would come and look at it in the summer and then I forgot.

This time we have leaves.


These are the fruits of the Guelder Rose, Viburnum opulus.


It is a member of the Adoxaceae family. That means that it is related more closely to the Elder tree and the lovely little Town Hall Clock than to the roses.






Well, I have missed the green leaves of summer and the white flowers that would have bloomed in June but at least we have got the berries and we know what it is.

These actually look like they must be related to Elderberries, don't you think?

This post just goes on and on, I just want to show you one more thing and then we will head back.

We are right at the end of Badger Alley now and this is where I think that the Beast of Badger Alley lives. On one side of the track there is woodland.

On the other side of the track there is impenetrable scrub. This is a tangle of Brambles, Hawthorn, Blackthorn anything with thorns on it.

Last winter I tried to press into this scrub, just a little bit to photograph some bright rose hips and as I went in an animal was startled and went crashing deeper into the bush. It was making more noise than me, it was big. Not a Fox, it was the Beast of Badger Alley but I didn't see it, I only heard it moving.

Okay we had better hurry back now.

Just ignore the pretty little bird. It is just guarding it's territory.

 I
 took loads of pictures of this Common Hogweed but we will rush past this one as well.



And the last thing that we won't look at will be little Herb Robert.




That's it. We were out for ages and we still didn't see a Gorilla. Maybe Fizz scared them all off.



I was going to show you how muddy she was when I dropped her off but you can probably guess.


17/11 Update: We received a tip off from the very kind Mar'yana Svarnyk in the comments section, advising us to take a look at the beautiful red seeds of the Guelder Rose. Thank you so much. (These pictures will be in my upcoming post, "The hunt for Red November" but also here for anyone searching for Guelder Rose)




Take care when extracting the seeds, I recommend wearing eye protection. The fruits are very juicy.


No comments:

Post a Comment